{recipe} Rainbow Fudge

I saw a recipe for rainbow fudge on Pinterest recently, and knew I had to make it. (For a full-fledged adult in her mid-30s, it turns out I’m pretty into rainbows.) But, I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have a couple of major issues with the original recipe… so I had to do it my own way.

First of all, it drives me crazy when a recipe site asks for an email address to access a recipe. It seems ridiculous considering how many fantastic food sites are out there, both amateur and professional, that don’t require this. Second, a rainbow with no orange? Come on, people. Not cool. Orange is like, one of the best colors. Third, they use liquid food coloring, which not only creates insipid colors but also messes with the texture of the chocolate, by virtue of being a liquid. (Small additional point of irritation- the recipe tells you exactly how many drops of each color to use. Oh. My. Godthatissoridiculous.) And finally, if I’m rainbowing it up, I really like to go for vivid colors, none of this Easter pastel crap. You’re eating what is essentially a colored sugar bomb – why restrain yourself to subdued colors? So this is my take on rainbow fudge.

I considered other color combinations, and really, you could make this however you like- in team colors, flag colors, favorite colors, holiday colors, or what have you. 6 colors makes a really tall fudge so you could certainly make fewer layers if you need fewer colors for your scheme. If you require very specific colors, you can get a wide variety of food colors from Wilton here.

Added bonus of making this recipe: even your dirty dishwasher looks beautiful afterwards.

As to the taste… it’s pretty sweet, and pretty white chocolate-y, but good nonetheless. I made it for my 9-year-old niece’s birthday, and she likes white chocolate and super sweet stuff, so I wasn’t too worried on either count. It’s almost like eating a big piece of candy corn. Since it’s so tall, it’s a good idea to cut small pieces so it doesn’t overwhelm. I think you could even make a half recipe for each layer, because mine was so tall I had to call it “fudgehenge.”

I wouldn’t call this recipe “easy” because it takes a fair amount of time and fiddling around, but it is definitely easy in terms of cooking skills. You make each fudge layer in the microwave, with only 4 ingredients, so it’s not a recipe that requires a lot of technical kitchen skills. If you can microwave, stir, possess a reasonable understanding of what a rainbow looks like, and have a loaf pan, you can make this.

Recipe: Rainbow Fudge

Makes a lot even though it looks like a little. White chocolate chips are easier to use, because you don’t have to chop them, but they don’t melt as smoothly as a bar so I don’t recommend using them. Don’t get any amount of water in the white chocolate mixture, because it can cause the chocolate to seize and harden into lumps. I say this because between colors you’ll need to wash your spatula out – so be sure to fully dry it off with a towel.

INGREDIENTS:

• 36 oz. chopped white chocolate
  • 3 cups sweetened condensed milk (you’ll need to buy 3 of the 14 oz cans to get 3 cups)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
  • gel or paste food coloring (like this or this)

METHOD:

• Line a loaf pan tightly with foil. Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Get out 6 microwave-safe cereal bowls. Into each bowl, put 6 oz. white chocolate, 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Set aside.
  • Put one bowl in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring well after each 30 seconds, until chocolate mixture is smooth and well combined with no lumps. (All microwaves are different but as a point of reference mine took about 90 seconds total.)
  • Add red food coloring and stir very well so there are no white streaks, scraping the sides of the bowl and making sure you get all the way to the bottom. A rubber spatula works well for this.
  • Pour into prepared loaf pan and bang the pan on the counter a few times to settle and even out the layer.
  • Place into the freezer for 20-25 minutes, until hard to the touch.
  • Repeat with remaining bowls, making orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Once the loaf pan and the layers have been in the freezer, the layer will almost immediately start to set, so you need to move quickly with spreading out the mixture and banging it on the counter so it’s not lopsided or lumpy.
  • After the final layer, put it back in the freezer for 2 hours, then move it to the refrigerator to completely set for a couple more hours.
  • When you’re ready to cut it, flip it onto a cutting board and remove the foil. Dip a sharp knife in hot water between cuts and wipe with a towel so the colors don’t smear together. It tastes better at room temperature and holds up pretty well for a few hours; otherwise, refrigerate it to keep.

If you liked this post, you may also enjoy…

Print Friendly

36 comments

1 amber thomas { 02.16.12 at 5:03 am }

Hi, I got to your link through pinterest. I have a question, instead of using a loaf pan that makes the fudge so tall, couldn’t you use a 8X8 square pan?

2 Karen { 02.16.12 at 9:29 am }

@Amber good idea! Yes, I think you could definitely try that. Good luck!

3 Lora { 02.17.12 at 5:09 am }

“Fudgehenge” ha ha ha. Love it! This is blow away fantastic. Fabulous job.
Lora recently posted..Hibiscus Flower Macarons with Red Velvet Nutella Filling

4 Hilary { 02.18.12 at 12:08 pm }

Oh god, this looks seriously amazing! I also have an obsession with rainbow baking (seriously, my oven sometimes looks like a Kindergarten classroom), so this is the perfect thing for me. I’m going to make this soon and I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe!
Hilary recently posted..Happy belated Valentines Day, ft. chocolate stuffed pink marble cupcakes

5 Hilary { 02.18.12 at 12:12 pm }

PS: here are a few of my favourite gel food colouring creations, in case you want to see them. I agree – liquid food colouring just isn’t the same! Go bright or go home!

6 Jamie { 02.19.12 at 9:55 pm }

Oh wow! This fudge is so pretty and I bet it’s very delish! What a great St. Patrick’s Day treat this would make.. I hope it’s okay, I’ve featured your bright and beautiful fudge on a St. Patrick’s Day colorful and creative foods hub here:

Thanks for sharing!

7 Amy { 02.19.12 at 10:07 pm }

Thanks for much! Saw the other recipe where you had to sign in and all and then did a Google search hoping someone would just post the recipe without all the hoops to go through to get it. Thank you got being so generous! And thanks for the color tips too. I agree…bright rainbows with all the colors are best :-)

8 Devanand Singh { 02.20.12 at 12:50 pm }

The internet is really evil … or is it my cravings? And just when I’ve been ordered to watch my weight. Anyway, I’d certainly like to try this with diabetic white chocolate (yikes!) and hope it turns out just as good.
Thanks for the recipe.
Devanand Singh recently posted..On the Job with Allan Ekholm – Minneapolis Star Tribune

9 Karen { 02.20.12 at 2:42 pm }

@devanand let us know how it works with diabetic white chocolate!

10 Karen { 02.20.12 at 2:43 pm }

@amy thanks for the comment- and good luck!

11 Karen { 02.20.12 at 2:43 pm }

@Jamie thanks, love the links! So many creative ideas for March 17th. :)

12 Karen { 02.20.12 at 2:44 pm }

@Hilary thank you – love the psychedlicakes! glad to see I’m not the only one who’s rainbow-obsessed.

13 Karen { 02.20.12 at 2:44 pm }

@Lora thanks you!!! :)

14 Almost-vegan coconut lemon poppyseed cupcakes « { 02.25.12 at 7:46 am }

[...] dessert that involved my usual use of excessive Kindergarten-colours (darn, I really wanted to make this!). Half of my family also has a thing against chocolate, so that was unfortunately ruled [...]

15 Terra { 03.09.12 at 6:32 pm }

Oh this is gorgeous! I love how creative this beautiful fudge is! So happy I happened to find you, your site is beautiful:-) Take care, Terra
Terra recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookies With A Little Surprise + Pinterest

16 Karen { 03.09.12 at 6:36 pm }

@Terra thank you! You are too kind! I really appreciate your taking time to comment.

17 Sanjeeta kk { 03.09.12 at 9:02 pm }

Lovely..gonna share it on my fb page right now!
Sanjeeta kk recently posted..Rice Recipes | Two Easy, Aromatic & Healthy vegetable Pilaf with Flax Seeds

18 Rainbow Recipes – Bites From Other Blogs { 03.10.12 at 11:21 am }

[...] Rainbow Fudge From Off The (Meat) Hook [...]

19 Rainbow Recipes and Ideas: Inspiration Sunday { 03.11.12 at 8:23 am }

[...] Rainbow Fudge from Off the Meat Hook [...]

20 Kelli { 03.14.12 at 1:42 pm }

I saw that same recipe, but I refused to enter my email too:) I’m so glad you posted this because I really want to make this for St. Patty’s Day this week!
Kelli recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Soccer Games

21 Karen { 03.14.12 at 1:47 pm }

@Kelli – awesome! I knew it wasn’t just me… ;)

22 Friday Links « Eccentric Owl { 03.19.12 at 8:06 am }

[...] since we’ve made two rainbow-colored dishes already, I think Rainbow Fudge is next in line. Bizarre and [...]

23 Adventures in the land of Rainbow Food. « Eccentric Owl { 03.22.12 at 9:33 am }

[...] thought I’d share the recipe. I found it on Off the Meat Hook (where those rainbow cakes in a jar are from, also fantastic), so you can click there to get a more [...]

24 Jennifer { 03.30.12 at 9:50 am }

I saw the other recipe, and it would not let me sign up to get it. So, I went hunting for a different one. Yours looks way better, and who does make a rainbow without orange?!

25 The Rainbow Confection: Desserts with a pop of color « eversaveblog { 05.31.12 at 6:52 am }

[...] Layered fudge – With white chocolate and gel food coloring you can turn fudge into any combination of colors. I can see an impressive spread in team colors, wedding party hues, even your favorite district colors for a Hunger Games party. (Please don’t try to represent all 12 districts.) This one’s easy, but requires lots of freezer time between the layers. [...]

26 » Rainbow Roundup BrightNest Blog { 07.10.12 at 3:04 pm }

[...] Rainbow Fudge @ Off The Meat Hook [...]

27 Rainbowdust7 { 08.13.12 at 4:45 am }

You actually made me laugh out loud :*)

28 Republic of Fudge « Sugar n' Stuff { 10.21.12 at 5:10 pm }

[...] counter the ultra sweet white chocolate flavor with a hint of mint.  My recipe was a tweak of a rainbow fudge recipe that also looks like a lot of [...]

29 Renae { 10.22.12 at 11:15 pm }

I just cut into this after making it last night. I left it in the freezer overnight and put in the refrigerator in the morning. It has had plenty of time to set, but just hasn’t hardened to fudge consistency. :-( where could I have gone wrong? It looks awesome, and tastes delicious, but it is too soft.

30 Karen { 10.23.12 at 2:13 pm }

@Renae – so sorry to hear that – could be the type of white chocolate used? Or the type of food coloring?

31 Renae { 10.24.12 at 2:47 am }

Hi Karen, I think I may have used too much condensed milk. I bought 3 cans, and used half a can in each colour. The cans are 395grams (14Oz), but I put half a can, instead of half a cup. It was more like 2/3cup of condensed milk. That must be why it isn’t holding its shape. Too much condensed milk/not enough white choc to balance it out.

Regardless, I gave some for my friends to take home. And they all love it, even though it melts your fingers and is gooey. Lol.

32 {how to} Super Duper Rainbow Cakes – in a Jar | off the (meat)hook { 04.05.13 at 2:45 pm }

[...] Rainbow Fudge [...]

33 Anne from Pintesting { 04.10.13 at 6:47 am }

Love it! That’s so pretty – I can see using thin slices to decorate a rainbow birthday cake… the wheels are turning!
Anne from Pintesting recently posted..Sunday Reflections – April 7, 2013

34 Karen { 04.10.13 at 11:04 am }

@Anne – neat idea!!

35 Margaret Hitchman { 04.10.13 at 3:01 pm }

Seriously I sniggered when you said that even your dishwasher looked beautiful and Fudgehenge – I love it! I often wonder if I too have a rainbow obsession – perhaps it’s the Irish madness within, but thanks for this because it surely put some colour back in my day today after the heavens opened and I thought I would have to build an ark because of the deluge of rain in UK!

36 Karen { 04.10.13 at 9:05 pm }

@Margaret haha! Thanks for sharing! I’m part Irish too… that might explain it… ;)